Wednesday, August 22, 2007

THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMM: MOSCHINO

I've got no words...


What's wrong with this picture? How do you spell exotification?
...well actually, I do. There's so much right and wrong with these pictures! While I appreciate the effort of depicting more women of color in high fashion ads and magazines, these Moschino Ads (appearing in Vanity Fair), smacks of something icky!
Why are the asian models wearing yellow? Am I trippin'?
I've got more questions than answers! Is it gimmicky? Racist? Why are they segregated into groups like that? And lastly, why, oh why is that dark skinned beauty stark naked?!?! Thoughts?
Finally, here are our caucasion models...nothing strange about this pic. 'Tis normal!
Was I the only one that was more than a little peeved that Chanel Iman was on the inside flap of this Vogue cover? I mean, some had to go on the fold-over, but were you surprised that she was one of the ill fated?

Photo Credit: Fashionista and Femme Noir

9 comments:

Pleats 'n Cleats said...

This is so Benetton circa 1988. And the only one naked is black? Yeah, I think it's a bit out of place with the "Are you Black? Oh I hadn't noticed!" 2000's!

Aquarian Thoughts said...

As I stated on FemmeNoire's blog, {I have to repeat myself}. . . There is something very distubing about these ads. Although I can appreciate the artistic ability of the ad to cause one to stop and think, but come on now. . .

Can you say exploitation. . . .

Keisha said...

Funny, but before I even read one word of what you said I looked at all three pictures. The first question I had was,"why is the black girl naked", followed by "is this a race awareness ad of some sort"?....things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Vertiginoso said...

Actually, I understand your perplexity . . . There's a real problem about "minority" Representation in Fashion and Advertising universe . . . especially in France : the real hypocrisy of a proclaimed but virulently abstract universalism . . .
ps: Great Thanks for your precision about Patrick Demarchelier in The Devil wears Prada, that's would be very funny: He's THE BOSS, THE REFERENCE.Point . . .

Cordially, Antoine.

Vertiginoso said...

ps: Dear Naki, unfortunately I don't know who's the photographer . . . but Eva H is the quintessence of "sexy casual sportstyle", with incandescent and anatomical perfection(Gloups . . .) !!!

Cordially, Antoine.

Gloria said...

hm, I don't mind it, but do you know whether the black and asian spreads are appearing in American mags as well? (I for one have only seen the caucasian ones in print)

Unknown said...

All three ads are provocative (this includes the white one IF it's placed with the other 2). There is something a little odd here. It's a bit too much - but I can appreciate what the fashion world (or maybe just Moschino) is trying to do. All I ask is that the Black woman not be booty-butt naked next time 'round. That is truly too much...

To Gloria's point, the white ads may be the only ones appearing in the States, because you know we Americans would not be able to handle the other 2. Too much hidden racism in this country.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

hmm I don't understand the ads maybe they should try to explain themselves before they come out with something so contravertial.
why are the asian girls wearing yellow? doesn't that contrast with their skin? are they trying to send a message? hmm so confusing, let me know when you hear anymore.

Anonymous said...

I also thought the ad with the black women was off. I hadn't even seen the others. She is very beautiful and has incredible skin. I have a problem with her being the only naked one in all the ad campaigns.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...