Saturday, April 11, 2009

VALENTINO, THE MOVIE.

There's a pug missing! You'll know who and why when you see the movie . . .

Filmed over the course of two years, "Valentino: The Last Emperor" is really a documentary about the legendary designer and his relationships with fashion, his beloved Giancarlo Giammetti, and his dogs--6 pugs: Milton, Monty, Maude, Margot, Maggie and Molly--not necessarily in that order of importance; Valentino once declared: "I don't care about the collection. My dogs are much more important." If Valentino were not a designer, he would surely be a comedian. I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did throughout this movie.
Directed by Vanity Fair writer and editor, Matt Tyranauer, the movie gives us insight into the tension between Valentino and the new CEO, Matteo Marzotto, whose family controlled the Valentino brand since 2002. In my opinion, the most thrilling aspects of the movie centered on Valentino Garavani's last haute couture show and the spectacular 45th anniversary Valentino retrospective in Rome. Valentino: The Last Emperor is showing in selected cities. Click here for locations and ticket information.
Yours truly at Valentino Corporate Offices in Milan.
Since it doesn't quite look like I will get to a GlobeShopper Italy post, I thought I'd share these pictures, taken several years ago on a trip to Milan. In addition to being geeked about experiencing the culture and food of northern Italy and getting the opportunity to travel to (shop at Serravalle!) neighboring cities, and Switzerland (for more outlet shopping at Foxtown), my Milan experience was truly magical because my travel companions and I met with representatives from Valentino--specifically the CEO of the Marzotto Group--at the Valentino offices.

A little bit of heaven. Heading towards the Valentino friends and family room. We couldn't believe our luck! 
 
And, as if that was not enough, he invited us back to the friends and family showroom (depicted above), where everything was 50% off. Write-downs of 50% were not typical back then! And, then there was swag: bags made from vintage Valentino scarves. My bag is made from a scarf from the Fall Winter '69 - '70 collection. Our visit to Valentino made Milan unforgettable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a must see!...oh...U....FAB!

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...