Sunday, August 26, 2007

STYLESTAR: TORI NICHEL

I'm sure you've all heard about Motown's most fabulous Tori-Nichel! This Fashion Institute of Technology-trained designer --who has worked for Dana Buchman and Kenneth Cole--has been making waves with her fresh designs.


Listed in Forbes (see article here) as one of five designers to watch, Tori-Nichel's designs belie her age. Her creations shine with the maturity and attention to detail that is usually produced by seasoned veterans!


Looks from Tori-Nichel's Spring and Autumn 2006 line...


Tori-Nichel has been featured in Elle, Essence, Womens Wear Daily, Lucky, Daily Candy, Time Out New York, and the list goes on and on... The sky is the limit for this young, inspiring and beautiful talent! Check out a select few pieces from her latest lines in the slide below!

Her clothes evokes a femininity and sensuality of bygone eras with a modern twist! Get your own Tori-Nichel creation at
Lola y Maria here in NYC, and other select boutiques! Keep reading for my interview with Tori-Nichel!



The designer, Tori-Nichel, in her best-selling dress!


StyleChile: When did you become interested in designing?
Tori-Nichel: I became interested in fashion as a little girl. I was about 7 years old.

StyleChile: Who were your fashion influences?
Tori-Nichel: I’ve had some amazing fashion influences throughout the years. My Dad was the best dressed man in the 70’s hands down…He was impeccable, high waist pants, with a crease sharp enough to cut some body, always a tastefully coordinated medallion necklace with a cashmere sweater or printed shirt fit for a king. Then there was my Mom, her 3 sisters, and my Grandmother affectionately known as “Granny”. These women are serial shoppers. I learned a lot about fashion growing up from constantly and consistently shopping with them. Finally, my big sister. She was the epitome of fashion in the 80’s & 90’s. She went from being the black Madonna, to the Sergio Techini, gazelle wearing girl to Homecoming Queen. I wanted to be her. She’s 5 years older than me, so back then, that separated generations and how we wore clothes. I learned trends through her, what was hot and how to wear the clothes.

StyleChile: How do you manage to stay fashionable?
Tori-Nichel: I truly believe people are born with taste. I have never tried to be fashionable, it’s just who I am.





StyleChile: Do you have any tips or words of advice for today's fun, fashionable, females?
Tori-Nichel: Words of advice ladies, know your body and understand what works well with what you have. Half the battle in fashion is making sure you’re wearing clothing that complements your figure. And, finally, be careful who you choose to seek fashion advice from.

StyleChile: How do you stay inspired?
Tori-Nichel: I stay inspired by surrounding myself with positive, like minded individuals. I have an amazing supporting cast that cheers me on constantly. I read every magazine I can get my paws on, I frequent every vintage store, flea market or show known to mankind, I am constantly on the streets in different neighborhoods, absorbing, watching, talking with people. In New York seeking inspiration is easy, just hop on the train for 20 minutes!

StyleChile: Tell us how we can best obtain pieces from your line.
Tori-Nichel: To best obtain pieces from the collection, email us from the website at
torinichel.com and we will advise the closest boutiques we sell at to the customer.
Our e-store will launch in September as well so women will soon be able to buy directly through us!

StyleChile: Of what (fashion oriented) achievement are you most proud?
Tori-Nichel: My best achievement that I am proud of thus far is making my ultimate dream come true…having my own clothing business operational by the time I turned 30, and being featured in WWD, the fashion bible, on my 30th birthday. What a birthday gift! How sweet was that!



Click on the label below for vintage StyleStar posts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is she from Motown but doesn't have a store there? Her designs are hot though!

birdie butter said...

great interview...her collection looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Thanks birdie! Her clothes are HOT! I'm so on the prowl for one of her dresses!

Anon 9:58. You can reach out to Tori to inquire about stores in Detroit, but if you don't mind shopping online, check out Lola y Maria!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tori. Dope Designer with dope taste. Also, kudos to naki for a great interview

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...