Tuesday, February 08, 2011

OBJET D'ART: FLIGHT OF FANCY

I've searched high and low for the cape above to no avail. It originated from this blog, which is sublime by the way (I assume it's written by a man, but maybe not). On it he shares his favorite images, his favorite things, but doesn't use titles, there's hardly any text and the photos are random (or so he says). I wish I knew more about this cape (and that blog). What type of feathers are those, exactly? It's vintage, obvi, but when was it made? Who conceived of it? Should it be worn or displayed? For whom was it made?

Update: I've found out more about this fantastic cape! The information below was taken from The Metropolitan Museum of Art's website.

: George Peter Stavropoulos (American, born Greece, 1920–1990)
: Cape, Evening
: ca. 1979
: American
: feathers, silk
: L. at center back 20 in. (50.7 cm)
: Gift of Barbara B. Brickman, 1997
: 1997.262

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...